NEW YORK, N.Y. – Behind a career-high 22-kill performance from Mark Klusman, the Fontbonne University men's volleyball team earned a four-set win over Hunter on Tuesday.
Final: Fontbonne 3, Hunter 1 (24-26, 25-19, 25-21, 27-25)
Location: New York, N.Y.
Records: Fontbonne 14-1, Hunter 10-5
How It Happened
In the first set, the Hawks jumped out to a 15-10 lead on a Qendrim Shala kill. Fontbonne went on to retake the lead at 23-22 on a solo block from Braden Woolsey. However, the Hawks closed out the set on a 4-1 run en route to the 26-24 win.
In the second set, it was the Griffins this time around taking a 12-8 advantage on Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell's kill. Fontbonne stretched the lead out to 23-17 on Cameron Way's service ace and were able to go on for the 25-19 victory on Brendon Schwartze's kill.
After a kill from Christian Maisonet gave Hunter a 15-11 lead in the third, the Griffins answered with a 7-0 run to grab a 18-15 lead. Later in the set, the Hawks trimmed it down to 21-20 on Michael Jazgarski's kill, but that'd be as close as they'd get with Fontbonne finishing it off for the 25-21 win.
In the fourth, once again it was the Hawks taking a 16-12 lead on a block assist from Cyrus De Guzman and Blake Hogan. The two teams went on to tie five different times as they met-up once more at 24-24 on Klusman's kill.
Hunter went on to regain the lead on Hogan's kill, but Fontbonne ended the set on a kill from Woolsey, an attack error and another kill from Klusman for the 27-25 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne recorded at least 50 kills for the second straight game. They tied its season-high with 68 digs.
- The team set a new season-high mark at the net with 16 block assists.
- The Hawks ended with 58 kills and a .151 hitting percentage.
- Hunter ended with 60 digs, but had its struggles from the service line with 12 service errors.
- Klusman led with a career-high 22 kills and 10 digs.
- Emir Hadzisalihovic added 11 kills, five digs, two solo blocks, and four block assists.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell registered his third double-double in his last four with 41 assists and 13 digs.
- Zach Rothstein posted a season-high 20 digs.
- Shala led with 20 kills, a .212 hitting percentage and 10 digs.
- Setter Alec Helford had 46 assists and 10 digs.
- Chris Scandole posted a team-high 19 digs.
The Griffins are back at it tomorrow night against York. First-service at 6:30 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).