ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's basketball team posted a season-high 142 points and dealt the Greenville Panthers its first conference loss in the 142-129 win.
Final: Fontbonne 142, Greenville 129
Records: Fontbonne (4-5; 2-1 SLIAC), Greenville (3-6; 2-1 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first half, the Griffins jumped out to a 26-17 lead at the 11:58 mark on Elijah Rice's made layup. With 6:25 left on the clock, the Panthers trailed 47-34 on Rakim Murphy's layup. Then, the Griffins offense took over going on an 11-0 run over just two minutes time to stretch its advantage out to 58-34.
The team held onto its double-digit lead the rest of the way and went into the locker room on top, 72-58.
The Griffins shot 63.3 percent from the floor in the first half and had four players in double-figures with Jalen Wadlington leading with 17. Greenville shot 42.6 percent from the field and had its struggles from downtown going 9-of-26 (34.6 percent).
In the second half, Wadlington's made layup gave Fontbonne the 97-76 lead with 13:50 remaining in regulation. The Panthers, though rallied with a 9-0 run in less than two minutes as Rakim Murphy's layup made it a 97-85 contest.
However, the Griffins got its lead back out to near 20 on Noah Coddington's made jumper to expand the lead out to 116-97 with 6:46 to go. Fontbonne never looked back from there as they went on for the 13-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne set new season-highs in field goals made (60), field goals attempted (91), defensive rebounds (48), total rebounds (64), and assists (37).
- Greenville ended the outing with a 42.5 field goal percentage and collected 20 offensive boards.
- Kendall Edmond and Sontiago Grady tied with a team-high 16 points each.
- Austyn Contreras and Henry Johnson added 13 and 12 points.
- Marvin Bateman, Kameron Vinsel, and Quincy Pinkard contributed 10 points apiece.
- Jalen Wadlington nearly went perfect from the floor going 16-of-17 to finish with a career-high 36 points.
- Anthony Jones also set a career-high with 23 points, while Jared Woodcock added 20 points.
- Domonic Doolin recorded his first double-double with season-highs in points (16) and rebounds (13).
- Caden Clark and Elijah Rice tied with 12 points each. Sean McGee finished with 10.
The Griffins close out its home stretch on Wednesday when they'll host Waldorf in a non-conference outing. Tip-off at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates on the men's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).