ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's basketball team fell 83-71 in a non-conference outing against Waldorf on Wednesday night.
Final: Waldorf 83, Fontbonne 71
Records: Waldorf 4-7, Fontbonne 4-6
How It Happened
In the first half, Noah Coddington accounted for the first seven points to put the Griffins down 10-7 at the 17:02 mark.
Later, the Warriors offense expanded its lead out to 30-20 on Demitrius Martin's layup with 9:14 to go. The Griffins got the deficit down to 38-29 at 5:10 on Elijah Rice going 1-of-2 from the line. However, the Warriors got its lead back out to double-digits and led 49-35 at the break.
The Griffins shot 46.7 percent from the floor in the first half and were led by Coddington's 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting. Waldorf ended with a 56.3 field goal percentage and connected on eight 3-pointers. Demitrius Martin led the floor with 14 points.
In the second half, the Warriors maintained its 14-point lead with Tristan Furgerson slamming it home to give them a 64-50 advantage with 11:22 left in regulation.
Fontbonne, though continued to chip away at the lead going on a 13-5 run over the next five minutes to make it a 69-63 game on Jalen Wadlington's made jumper.
That'd be as close as they'd get with Waldorf extending its lead back out to 78-65 on Martin's layup at 3:31. From there, they were able to go on for the 12-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with a 42.9 field goal percentage and knocked in six 3-pointers.
- The Griffins outrebounded the Warriors, 36-31.
- Waldorf ended with a 52.5 field goal percentage and made 10 3-pointers.
- Demitrius Martin led the floor with a game-high 27 points on 11-of-22 shooting. He also pulled down eight boards and dished out seven assists.
- Melvin Martin and Gabriel Munoz tied with 16 points, while Quiny Minor Jr added 10 points, four rebounds, and five assists.
- Elijah Rice added a team-high 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting.
- Noah Coddington recorded his first double-double on the year with 16 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.
- Jalen Wadlington finished with 12 points of his own.
The Griffins will return to the court after the break when they'll take on rival Webster on the road on January 4th. Tip-off at 3 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates on the men's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).