ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's basketball team fell 94-67 against (RV) WashU on Tuesday night.
Final: WashU 94, Fontbonne 67
Records: WashU 6-2, Fontbonne 3-5
How It Happened
In the first quarter, after trailing 8-7, the Griffins went on a 7-0 run capped off by Mallory Proffer's 3-pointer to give them the 14-8 lead at 4:54. However, the Bears closed out the quarter on an 11-0 run to lead by five after one.
In the second, a 3-pointer from Molly Gannon at the 8:08 mark gave WashU a 27-16 lead. They expanded the advantage out to 40-27 with 3:12 on the clock on Isabelle Hren's layup. The Bears maintained its double-digit lead the rest of the way and went into halftime ahead by 13 (46-33).
In the third, the Bears outscored Fontbonne 21-8 as they shot 47.1 percent from the floor, while the Griffins had its struggles going 3-of-17 (17.6 percent). Heading into the fourth, the Bears led 67-41.
Fontbonne shot an improved 53.3 percent from the field in the fourth, including going 7-of-7 from the line and getting a team-high eight points from Riley Guffey. However, the Bears shot 57.9 percent and went on for the 27-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne shot 36.5 percent from the field and drained 10 3-pointers.
- WashU ended the evening with a 45.3 field goal percentage, hit 13 3-pointers, and outrebounded Fontbonne, 49-27.
- The Bears also controlled the paint outscoring Fontbonne, 30-18.
- Molly Gannon led with a game-high 18 points all of which came from beyond-the-arc.
- Sammi Matoush recorded a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
- Samanatha Weaver contributed 13 points, six boards, and six assists.
- Off the bench, Naomi Jackson and Maya Arnott had 11 points each.
- Raven Venegas, Madison Boaz, and Riley Guffey each had 14 points which are season-high marks for Boaz and Guffey.
- Jillian Venegas added eight points and Rylee Stafford contributed seven.
The Griffins close out its home stretch on Saturday when they'll take on Greenville at home. Tip-off at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates on the women's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).